On this Tech Workout, we will build a 100% local home automation, by running HomeAssistant on a Raspberry Pi. We will set up some automation, discover different presence detection solutions and connect it to Alexa or Google Assistant. We will review how to easily configure your home automation through the HA user interface, but will also have a look at what’s under the hood and how to write complex configurations utilizing the YAML scripting language.
The advantages of using Home Assistant:
– 100% local home automation
– Free and open source
– Optimized for embedded devices like Raspberry Pi
– Easy installation and updates
– Management web interface integrated into Home Assistant
– Create and restore full backups of your whole configuration with ease
– Install many popular add-ons with a single click! For example Google
Assistant, encryption via Let’s Encrypt and dynamic DNS via Duck DNS.